So you just got a brand new corgi pup of your very own. That’s exciting right? And the perfect pet needs a perfect name. There are so many different names out there to choose from that all sound wonderful. But how do you pick the right one? Here’s an easy step by step guide to picking the perfect name for your corgi.
1. What does your corgi look like?
Because each corgi is unique – it’s fun to base your corgis name on what they look like. Here are some suggestions: • Do they have big beautiful eyes and ears, like a bunny rabbit? You could call them Honey Bunny. • Are they followed by a long luxurious corgi tail? How about Bottlebrush. • Do they smell like fresh flowers? Rosie (and if so – lucky you!). • Are they super-duper tiny? Scrap.
You can also base it on the colour of their fur. A mostly black one could be called Sooty, A tan one – Red. If they have markings or patterns, you could try Smudge or Splodge or Spatz.
2. How does your corgi behave?
The way that your corgi behaves can give you clues on picking the perfect name. You want to make sure that the perfect name matches not only the way they look, but the way they are. Try these options:
• If they love to run and bounce about? Skips could be perfect. • If they are always smiling and happy to see you? A bubbly personality could be called Bubbles. • Got a corgi that is more reserved; the strong and silent type. How about Steel. • Are they your best friend? Buddy. • Is your corgi always napping and forever tired. Your sleepy pup might like a name like Luna (based on the moon). • Do they like digging? Try Sandy! • Got a loud barker? Rory (get it, ROAR!).
With so many unique ways to act, you're bound to find a unique name.
3. What do you love?
Because your beloved corgi can’t be the only thing that inspires you in life. What else do you like to spend time on? Here are a few ideas to get your brain cells running.
• Are you a singer? How about Aria or Melody • Readers might like to name their corgi after a character from their favourite book. So you could have a Draco, Frodo, or Sherlock. • Love the outdoors? How about getting back to nature in your naming with Mahogany, Maple, or Oak • Is gaming your thing? Try Zelda, Sephiroth, Kratos, Link, Kirby or even Bowser. • Got a movie that you really love? Your corgi could be called Shawshank or Totoro. • Are you a maestro in the kitchen? Spice up your naming with cuisine inspired options like Cinnamon or Nutmeg.
What inspires you? Try putting together a list.
4. Ask your friends and family
By asking your friends and family, you might be able to find out a perfect name that they have always wanted to use but never had the chance. If you do plan on using a name they love, it might be worth double checking if it's ok. They might be saving it for something.
The other option is to be inspired by their life. You could ask them:
• The name of the streets they have lived on. • The school they went to. • Their favourite flower. • Their favourite ingredient or spice. • Their favourite holiday destination.
And you're not just limited to English words. Some of the best ideas can come from friends and family who speak a second language. Something in French, Japanese, Latin, German, Spanish, or Indonesian might be perfect.
5. Get a name book
Name books are not just for babies, they’re a perfect choice for naming your corgi puppy too.
A good language book or website will have hundreds or thousands of names for you to choose. They can help you find names you didn't know existed, from names that used to be popular, or are right on the cutting edge.
You will also be able to find the cultural, historical or original meanings of the names, so you can be sure that your corgi has just the right one. Plus, you can also find nicknames, shortened versions, and unique spellings.
6. Ask your pet
It may seem a little silly, but your corgi may already know the perfect name they want to be called. They are a smart breed after all.
Try calling them lots of different names and seeing what they react to. You might get nothing from Charles, Chuck, or Chappy, but Charlie might be perfect.
And after all, you want your corgi to love their own name – they'll be stuck with it for a while.
So there you have it! The six steps to finding your perfect name. What will you name your next corgi? Message us on Facebook and Instagram and let us know.